Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Grapefruit Of Last Resort: Kidney Stone Complications Associated with the Treatment of Gout



San Francisgo Gate
This list of low-oxalate foods includes Grape Fruit

Wake Forest Baptist Health
Grapefruit does not appear on this list.

LiveStrong.com
This article is dedicated to graprefruit for preventing gout.

Wikipedia
Grapefruit contains a substance called furanocoumarin which can be found in some other fruits as well.

WebMD
The article also mentions Seville oranges a a potential hazard.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
A more complete list of foods and other substances known to interact with other substances.
I had an unprecedented surge in Gout beginning in early February. First in one foot for a week, then the other for the second week, then in my right wrist. It all started after eating a large quantity of Blueberries, Strawberries and Raspberries.

I was also consuming oranges, kiwis, and bananas. I thought these were all good for me until I discovered Oxalate. Now I suspect Uric Acid is not the only acid that develops crystals inside your body, but the data on Oxalate suggests that it only accumulates in the kidneys.

I'm going to switch from oranges and kiwis to grapefruit, but I worry about the effects of furanocoumarin interacting with my over-the-counter pain meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment